I can't believe it's been a whole year since Prince passed. I wanted to share some of the ways Yoga Camp and I remember him. Pictured above, Lacey, @MinnesotaYogini, and I pose in front of First Ave. If you have never visited Minneapolis, it is a must see because it's amazing and it's where Prince filmed Purple Rain.
Lacey and I actually went to check out this mural by Rock Cyfi Martinez the artist was still in the process of painting it. It was cool to meet him, and even better that he posed with us. Rock was still wearing his mask in the photo because he was taking a break to pose.
In remembering Prince and grieving for the loss of one of my favorite artists, I took a journey through Minneapolis trying to honor in an artistic way some of his most iconic images and pay homage to him.
I got to go into local artist Erin Sayer's studio with with Sara, @LightfulYogini, pictured above.
Here, artist Erin and I are during Art-A-Whirl last spring with the stencil she used to create her Uptown mural pictured here. Lacey and I do a handstand to honor Prince!
Originally Prince's star at First Ave was always silver, pictured on the left on the day of his death, April 21st, 2016 -- one year ago today. Later that summer, pictured on the right with Patience Stopke, First Avenue changed his star to gold -- the only star like it.
Prince was mourned all over the world. My friend Zara visited from Pakistan last summer and told me people honored and mourned him there. That made me happy. His creativity and daring touched the lives of people across the world.
Thank you Prince Rogers Nelson for creating some of the best music ever that has accompanied the soundtrack of my life. I will continue to listen to your music and you will be in my heart. Great music and creativity is at the core of Yoga Camp. We love partnering with local bands and DJ's each summer and it's part of what makes Yoga Camp so special. We hope you join us this summer for our events. Dates and registration coming soon.
I recently completed a full year of handstands. Yes, I did a handstand every single day in 2016 and documented it. Every single day. The world looks different now.
1) You will make incredible progress on your handstand journey!
My orginal handstand goal on Janurary 1st, 2016 was, "work up to a 10 second hold and leg variations."
I have gotten a lot stonger and a lot more consistent in my handstands. I have to tell you right away that I have not yet acheived my original goal. I am a lot closer. I can consistently hold a handstand now for 1-3 seconds. I can't yet really do any intentional leg variations.
I thought I would reach my goal, but I can assure you, I am in no way dissappointed in myself. I am actually very proud of myself for staying committed and for the progress I have made.
2) You will explore your city, and the world and yourself.
It was interesting how motivating the art of the challenge was for me. It enticed me to explore my city more than I normally would and take more trips. I also observed how it was fueling me as an artist.
Taking a picture every day for to share on social media was a unique motivator for a lot of reasons. Publically announcing my self-imposed challenge via social media kept me accountable and not only motivated to perservere, but also make my challenge as artistic as possible.
I am a fanatic about Instagrm and also the layout of my gallery. The idea of creating a grid that would flow together beautifully also played a role in mt journey. It drove me to seek out new places, different lighting, and explore different variations to keep my IG gallery beautiful. I don't think I would have stuck to the challenge if it hadn't been for my public comittment via social media, and I know it wouldn't have been so fun and motivating.
We were recently asked the question during our Yoga Camp Photo Journey Retreat to Madeline Island, “Could you please provide more direction on what clothing to bring, what will look best for photos?” We love this question, because dressing for yoga photos really is a bit of an art. What does go into choosing the perfect outfit? The answer, not so simple.
First off, it really comes down to awareness. Being aware of how you and your body will be situated in the photos yow plan to take. You need to ask yourself questions such as: Will I be upside-down in any of my photos? Will I be a silhouette? What is the weather like? What are the colors like outside? What is my lighting like? All of these factors can mater when choosing what to wear. While this is a topic that could have many subtopics, we are going to keep in simple for starters. Here are a few simple tips to choosing the perfect outfit for a yoga photo shoot.
1. Stand out – You want an outfit that will stand out amongst your background. Usually I would say, wear bright colors, but standing out could be wearing all black if you have a light background! Think about where your photo shoot will take place and make sure you will STAND OUT!
2. Wear clothing appropriate for the shoot – Think about what type of yoga you will be doing in this photo shoot. Do you need all out yoga clothes to get into some bendy poses, or are you casually posing and can be in more street clothing? If you are going to be inverting, make sure you are wearing tight fitting clothes so your shirt doesn’t end up over your head when you are upside-down.
3. Color Palate- Think about the season, the colors in your background, and how everything will look together! This coincides with #1 in the way you want to stand out, but you also want to look good in your background. You want the colors to go together. Each picture truly tells a story and you want it to be cohesive. I personally love bold colors, but it has to be the right bold color! Experiment for yourself and look through other people’s photos to see what you personally find visually appealing. Color is a very personal thing and it is a beautiful way to tell your story in photographs.
I hope these tips help you next time you are picking out an ourfit for some yoga photography fun! Make sure to like and share this post! Leave me comments below if you are interested in more details on this topic! Namaste my friends!